MY HIJAB STORY

, , 2 comments
Bismillah ir-rahman ir-rahim

Assalam alaikum warahmatullah wabarakatu


This article was featured in The New Muslim ‘s Facebook page on World Hijab Day Tokyo at Tokyo Camii on January 31st, 2016. I delivered my personal Hijab story during the event. “I reverted to Islam two and a half months ago, but it has been 5 years since I was deeply touched by Islam, its practices and cultures. I was actively participating in international youth programs when I was a student. The life changing opportunity to encounter Islam was during Ship for South East Asia and Japanese Youth Program (SSEAYP) in 2011. 

During the program, I spent 53 days with over 200 participants from ASEAN nations, and I saw the real Islam through brothers and sisters from Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia, Philippines and Myanmar. This was where I met my Malay-Malaysian fiancé too. During the program, I learnt that wearing Hijab is by a woman’s own will, not forced by anyone else. When I asked a Bruneian sister (now I know how rude my question was), “Hey, Don’t you ask your sisters to wear hijab?”, and she answered, “No, I don’t. Because it is a thing between individuals and God, no one can force anyone to do so. On the other hand, I think I could try inviting her to pray together instead,” with a smile on her face. I was a little bit confused to see some wearing hijab and others who were not, but her answer made me think that it is by one’s own decision to wear hijab.

After the program and upon finishing my studies, I moved to Malaysia and lived in Kuala Lumpur for a year to see and experience Islamic cultures in society. During my stay, I had the opportunity to attend my friend’s wedding. The bride, she used to reveal her shiny bright long hair but she started to wear hijab after marriage. This was very surprising fact for me, to see how different she looks with and without Hijab and I kept wondering what made her to wear Hijab! Then I asked my fiancé, “Why do you think she started to wear hijab?” and he answered with an easy explanation for me, “It might be with some reasons but I believe the main reason would be that the beauty of the wife belongs to her husband when they get married.” His answer made me realize that women wear Hijab because they are beautiful, respected and protected, not discriminated or oppressed!”

When I returned to Japan and began working in Tokyo, I realized that it is not logical if I became a Muslim only for the purpose of marriage. This made me study Islam for myself and finally I was convinced to revert to Islam. I noticed that wearing Hijab is for Allah and indirectly for myself after I became a Muslim. I started to wear Hijab for the weekend Arabic lessons at Tokyo Camii at the beginning. I put on the Hijab at the station and while heading to the mosque, and I took it off on the way home. I was trying to increase the frequency and length of wearing Hijab outside. One day I was able to put it on for a whole day outside and was happy with my accomplishment. I wondered what made me feel this way and I figured out I was able to do things that Allah likes and Allah wants us to do. It brought me more confidence to wear hijab outside, one of the ways to be a good Muslim.

However, wearing Hijab in Tokyo is not easy. People look at me especially in the train. But when I think carefully why people look at me, I figure that it might be because they would not know about Islam and the reason why women put headscarves, like I did not know about Islam five years ago! I found there is huge gap between those who know Islam and those who do not know. I believe what I can do is by practicing good manners as Muslim, not staring back at those who stare at me, praying that what they see now will influence them to want to understand Islam in future, and also help me explain properly if people ask me why I wear Hijab.

My weekend Tokyo Camii visit always provides me a chance to meet brothers and sisters from different countries. Last Saturday, I met Muslims from India, Turkey, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Malaysia. I guess there would be more people from various regions as I saw lots of people during prayers. I was about to forget that Japan is called homogeneous society. One of the beauty in Islam I found on my way to revert is believing in same religion regardless of nationality or race. The beauty got blighter when I noticed we have no differentiation under Allah when I saw how Muslims ling up for their prayers for the first time. [Non Muslims came to observe prayer in Tokyo Camii Mosque.]

At the same time, the beauty is in the difference. Each one of Muslims is carrying their own culture with geographic or historical backgrounds, as you might see their difference in the language, traditional costume, food, architecture and in any other elements for example. Also none of us is the same as their gifted personality, talent and character given by Allah. Indeed our world and society is full with diversity and difference.

Couple of days after the weekend Tokyo Camii visit, I found one verse of The Holy Quran, "O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and female, and made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other (not that you may despise each other). Verily the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things)" [Q 49:13]  Reflecting back my personal experiences, understanding the difference brought me meaningful personal developments. I learned to be patient among people from different background especially during international youth programs and my work experiences in the diverse environment as I found out what I think good is not always same to the others. At the same time, I got to know there will be better for everyone when we understand each other in many ways. Subhan Allah. Allahu Akbar. The Holy Quran clearly mentions the reason why we are different. It is for knowing each other rather than fighting or hating. Also I believe this is the lesson we should apply to all human even when you encountered non Muslim people because we are all beautiful creation by Allah. This reminds me the friendly, kind and warm attitude by my Muslim friends even during the time I was not Muslim but they are good Muslims to everyone around them.

As my life passion is to create opportunities for mutual understanding, this verse of the Holy Quran was powerful and convinced me that to understand each other is key to be a good Muslimah and to establish better society. Alhamdulillah.

January 22, 2016 Culture, Islam in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. Hijabs are traditionally modest garments, and Muslim women are expected to wear them publicly. Islamic tradition requires women and men to wear clothing covering all body parts except the face and hands, and many girls who practice Islam in the West struggle to meet these modest standards

    ReplyDelete